Cities and counties often adopt zoning regulations to specify what types of activities and development would be allowed on property in various parts of that locale. Property owners or purchases of property that wish to attempt to change the use of the property may need to seek a change in zoning by filing an application and going before their local planning and zoning commission. Property owners near a proposed zoning change will have an opportunity to speak to or be represented in front of the zoning and planning commission to voice their concerns or state any objections or opposition that may have with the proposed changes. Joe Huerter has served as a planning commissioner for the Topeka and Shawnee County Planning Commission and chaired the committee that initially wrote a combined city and county zoning code for Topeka and Shawnee County. He has also worked on zoning matters for other governmental entities.